Kidnappers demanding ransom as businessman still held captive
Rajendra Persaud was snatched from in front of his business place at Foulis East Coast Demerara late Saturday afternoon, since then his whereabouts has been a mystery with his alleged kidnappers demanding a ransom of 25 million dollars for his safe release. There are reports that the original ransom demand was 50 million dollars.
Today acting Commissioner of Police Seelall Persaud said the incident was a sensitive one.
At Persaud’s home in Enmore the gate was locked as his family became fearful while they were reportedly in contact with the kidnappers. This newscast was told that the kidnappers were demanding the hand over of surveillance video footage from the business place and the money. It all unfolded Saturday afternoon when two men came up at the businessman’s spare parts store held up the businessman at gunpoint and forced him into the trunk of his vehicle and drove off.
The top cop did not give away much to members of the media regarding the incident.
The vehicle was later found abandoned on the Railway Embankment. The car was taken to the nearby Sparendaam Police station. There are reports that the businessman’s wife traced his kidnappers and located the vehicle on the embankment; she later reported the matter to the police.
Persaud was into to buying and selling used and crashed vehicle parts and was operating the business for several years.