1.25 Billion dollars earmarked for Specialty Hospital is first allocation to be cut from the budget – 18th Apr 2013
The Health Ministry came under the microscope during the consideration of the budget estimates last evening and the 1.25 Billion dollars earmarked for a specialty hospital was the first allocation to be cut from the Ministry’s budget. The proposed budget estimate for the hospital was reduced to zero.
A motion submitted by A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) was disallowed since the submission was not a day old as required by the Standing Orders.
But the House ended up voting on an almost identical amendment tabled by the Alliance For Change (AFC), which was submitted on Friday last. AFC Member Moses Nagamootoo said his party could not support the project because the Government was offering contradictory explanations with regard to the amount of money spent so far.
In defence, the Government sought to refute the Opposition’s claims. The explanations given by the Government’s side were deemed to be unsatisfactory and so the combined opposition said no to any money for that project.
The AFC has always expressed concerns about the hospital project, saying that it has never opposed the concept of the hospital, but will support any project of the Government once reasonable explanations are given.
The Specialty Hospital project is located at Turkeyen on the East Coast of Demerara and its construction is expected to cost US 18.1 million dollars.