You Are Here: Home » Top Stories » Government continues to plead with the opposition to support the budget in its current form – 15th Apr 2013

Government continues to plead with the opposition to support the budget in its current form – 15th Apr 2013

parliamentThe ruling PPP/C has once again pleaded for good sense to prevail as the Government and the opposition examine the 2013 Budget Estimates.

The combined opposition parties had threatened to slash over 40 Billion dollars in what they called excessive spending.

But Minister of Home Affairs, Clement Rohee said any cuts to his Ministry, will affect citizens’ security,  though the opposition had earlier said any cuts dealing with Home Affairs, will be balanced against the safety and protection of the public.

Also making his pitch for the budget support was Sports Minister, Dr. Frank Anthony. Dr. Anthony said based on the opposition’s eleven point demand, the Sports and Arts Endowment fund is on the chopping block.

But that Fund this Newscast understands, is not being managed by the Ministry of Culture, instead, it is being administered from the Office of the President.

On Friday, the main Opposition, APNU, said the function of an opposition in a Westminster-style Parliament is to examine the request for funds by the Government and then go through each request to see if it can be justified.

Opposition spokesman on Finance, Carl Greenidge said what he is advocating is for public accountability and proper institutional mechanisms under which funds are being requested, all in an effort to protect taxpayers from misuse and abuse of public funds.

Leave a Comment

© 2016 Capitol News Guyana

Scroll to top