Widow says she has not collected a penny following shooting of Guyanese Man – 10th Apr 2013
The widow of a US based Guyanese man who was shot dead five years ago here in Guyana, says she has not collected a penny of the 1.5M US dollar insurance policies on his life. The man had taken out one of the Insurance policies just months before he was gunned down. His wife Devika Hendriques claimed the insurance money two weeks after the man’s death.
The widow told Capitol News from New York, that the initial news report last evening gave the impression that she collected the insurance money after a court ruling last year. The matter is still in court according to the widow, as the Insurance company has appealed. She is not at liberty to disclose what her course of action will be.
The man, Ricardo Hendriques was shot by allegedly bandits who relieved the man of a then unknown quantity of cash he was carrying in a bag. The killing occurred on November 24, 2008. The US Insurance company, MetLife had refused to pay out the money because of the two-year window in which the death took place after the policies were initiated.
The matter ended up in a US Court after the man’s spouse, Devika Hendriques, sued Metlife. The spouse contended that the Insurance Company must pay her for both of the policies.
According to the court documents, MetLife claimed that based on its underwriting guidelines, Henriques was ineligible for coverage with MetLife due to his frequent travel to Guyana. MetLife concluded too that Henriques consumed alcohol, had a history of alcohol abuse and was counseled by a physician regarding his abuse. It analyzed Henriques’ answers to the application questions and determined that he failed to provide relevant information that would have affected issuance of the life insurance policies.
The Matter is still in court in the United States. Meanwhile in Guyana, the men who were arrested for the killing, are still on remand.