Mid-morning fire leaves 11 persons homeless – 21st Mar 2013
A paralyzed man was rescued by public-spirited citizens from a burning building this morning in Albouystown.
The building, which is located at the corner of James and Victoria Streets, caught fire around 9:30. 11 persons are now homeless including six children, after the fire quickly gutted the two-storied building. The origin of the fire is still to be determined, but Albouystown residents are already pointing fingers at the utility company, GPL.
The Ashbys occupies the building. Lisa Ashby, one of the victims said she had just left the top flat of the building and went downstairs to take care of her sick father when she heard neighbours shouting fire.
Eon Ashby, another victim said. he was unable to save anything from the blaze. He was at work when he got a call that his building was on fire.
Eon said despite this setback, he is hoping to start over soon.
The Guyana Fire Service was prompt at the scene, but had a few hiccups as they tried to put out the fire. Eventually the firemen got down to business and prevented the fire from spreading to any of the other nearby houses.