Stranded Ezjet passengers can submit their claims – 7th Jan 2013
There are just around 240 claims for refund from Ezjet so far and that amount is already reaching the 26 million dollar mark.
On Friday, the Ministry of Public Works announced, that the Ministry is continuing to receive claims and that exercise is expected to close on January 14th this year.
The Government is holding a 40 million dollar bond from Ezjet, but could not say if the claims when verified will surpass that amount.
Minister Benn said, the Government and his Ministry did all the prerequisite reviews and assessment with respect to the licensing of Ezjet operations.
Benn said, that having low cost competitive air traffic for the diaspora and business interest is a critical issue.
He said, the attacks by some sections of the media prior to the suspension of Ezjet service was perhaps unwarranted and unfortunate in terms of its timing.
The services of Ezjet were suspended after the company ran into financial difficulties late last year.