You Are Here: Home » Top Stories » Two Police Officers charged for manslaughter in the death of 22-year-old – 31st Dec 2012

Two Police Officers charged for manslaughter in the death of 22-year-old – 31st Dec 2012

It took the police over 2 months to file the charges but today, 2 of their own appeared before the court charged for manslaughter in the death of 22-year-old, Dameon Belgrave, who was shot dead while hanging out with some friends on Hadfield Street, just across the road from the fish shop back in October. The two policemen charged today are Sheldon Williams and Errol Williams. They both appeared before the Chief Magistrate and were not required to enter a plea to the indictable charge. However, they were both granted bail in the sum of $250,000 each.

The incident took place on October 11th, the eve of Dameon Belgrave’s 23rd Birthday. He was having a pre-birthday hang with friends when the police opened fire on the crowded street behind a 15-year-old boy, who was driving a car that was in his father’s care.

Belgrave who was standing some distance away was struck to the chest and died on the spot. Another bullet hit the car he was standing next to. The 15-year-old lad, who was the target of the police, managed to escape without being injured and later turned himself into the police where he was questioned about the incident.

Police Commissioner, Leroy Brummel, wasted no time just after the shooting to visit the home of the Belgraves and speak directly to the young man’s mother expressing sympathy and regrets and admitting that there was a clear and obvious need for the training of policemen.

Civil rights and other activists protested the police shooting. They said, they could not understand the thinking of the police to open gunfire in an area that is crowded.

When the file first went to the Director of Public Prosecutions, several bits of information were requested before a final decision was made to file charges against the two policemen.


Meanwhile at the same courthouse this morning policeman Terrence Wallace was committed to stand trial in the High court for the police shooting death of Agricola teen, Shaquille Grant who was gunned down back in September. The magistrate ruled that a case had been made out against him that was strong enough to move the matter to the High court.

Wallace and two other policemen were fingered and charged for the murder of the 17 year old young man but only Wallace was brought before the courts. The other two policemen have not been seen or heard from since. They reportedly left the country just before the charges were filed. Guyana has asked international police to assist in locating the two police man.

Leave a Comment

© 2016 Capitol News Guyana

Scroll to top