Fire Leaves 15 Homeless
All that’s left standing at 169 Eleazer Street, Lodge Housing Scheme are the concrete walls after a fire of unknown origin gutted the building.
The unfortunate event has left fifteen persons homeless as they went through the charred remains hoping to find something that could still be useful to them.
According some family members the fire started on the top floor and no one was in the house at the time of the incident. An alarm was raised but when they tried to enter the upper flat, the fire was already out of control.
One of the occupants, Charles Callender said he was at the market when the incident occurred but later learnt of the fire when his brother called him.
Only a few weeks ago extension work was done on the building.
The family has lived in the community for a number of years. The house stood for well over 50 years since it is one of many houses in the area that was built through the self help housing project.
Residents told Capitol News that when they contacted the fire service it took them well over half an hour before they responded to the call for help.